Big businesses can provide goods at fairly cheap prices, often far cheaper than most online sellers can buy them in the first place. However, big businesses often have one big failing – you can never find what you are looking for. For smaller businesses, you may be able to capitalise on this shortcoming – even if your prices are a little more expensive.
What is big businesses biggest shortcoming – landing pages. If you sell thousands of products it can be difficult to create landing pages that cover the complete range. Web Pro News have a comprehensive article on the topic and I think the following example speaks volumes. It is part of a report on the unsuitable landing pages (or non-existent) used by big business.
The most ridiculous was from now out of business Circuit City, whose digital camera keyword ad led to a listing for a pet odor removal product.
I wonder why they are out of business. I know from personal experience how frustrating it can be to find exactly what you are looking for on the web site of a large commercial operation.
For small business owners, creating landing pages that are content rich and specifically match the keywords used to find that page will provide a much richer experience for the user and probably lead to greater sales. Provide that service and easy shopping experience and they will not only come back – they will recommend you to their friends.
The one belief I have always held is that internet levels the playing field and allows the smaller businesses an equal opportunity to compete. Perhaps I am wrong. Maybe small business has the advantage when it comes to online marketing!
- Internet Marketing – Why Do So Few Use So Little Of What Is So Much?
- Stuck For Something To Say On Your Blog?
- Google Again Advises On Web Site Hacking
- Domain Names – How Far Do You Go To Protect Your Brand
- Can You Capitalise On Big Businesses Failure
- SEO And The Google Penalty – Dont LaughThey Penalized Themselves
- Yahoo Leads The Way But Hardly Anyone Knows
- Why Branding Is Becoming More Important
- Time to Update Your WordPress Blog